After decades of neglect, an 87-year-old riverside mansion has been lovingly restored and given a new lease of life as a luxury 14-room hotel. Originally owned by a dignitary named Phraya Cholabhumi-Panit, Ban Bangyeekhan was built in 1923 in the Italianate style popularised by King Rama V in the late-19th century. It subsequently served as a school before falling into disuse. The late architect Wichai Pitakworrarat was responsible for the sensitive restoration. Come here for afternoon or tea or sophisticated Thai cuisine at the in-house restaurant. The whole place can also be rented out for private parties (capacity 250). It is only accessible by private shuttle boat which departs from Wat Rajathiwas pier every 30 minutes, between 8.45am and 11.45pm. Service to Phra Arthit pier is on request.
757/1 Somdej Phra Pinklao Soi 2, Bangyeekhan, Bangkok 10700 Tel: 02-883-2998 or 02-322-9155; fax: 02-883-1855 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.prayapalazzo.com
More info: http://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/localtrips/204700